New Manual Articular Approach - Lower Extremity
Prerequisite: This course is intended for licensed or certified healthcare professionals. Visceral Manipulation or Neural Manipulation recommended.
New Manual Articular Approach: Lower Extremity (MALE)
New Manual Articular Approach (NMAA), formerly Global Joint Treatment, is a manual therapy modality that applies a comprehensive approach to the treatment of joints.
"Articular" refers to the joints of the body, which are critical points of interconnectivity between all other structures within the body. Joints receive and emit messages with other parts of the body, and are also connected to our emotions. NMAA integrates all aspects of the joint including the nerve, artery, bone, capsule, and ligaments, as well as visceral and emotional connections. NMAA delves into the joints like never before. It examines the nerves of each joint, along with the arteries, meniscus, ligaments, capsule attachments and folds. It incorporates soft tissue mobilization of the associated bones, while looking at direct and indirect relationships between the bones of the body. The relationship between the viscera and the joints is not widely understood. NMAA shows how interconnected they are and that without addressing this visceral connection many joint issues may not fully resolve. The application of the gentle NMAA techniques improves the body’s ability to heal and restore itself to optimal health.
A joint is so much more complex than a place where bones come together. It is comprised of multiple components – including bone, cartilage, muscles, tendons, nerves, and fluid – that when functioning properly, allow the joint to glide smoothly and pain-free. If one component becomes problematic, the entire joint begins to compensate and not function properly. This leads to dysfunction ranging from temporary pain to longer term damage. All parts and systems within the body are interconnected – joints included – and when there is dysfunction in one place, other areas can be negatively impacted. A skilled NMAA practitioner can properly assess the interactions of the joints with the body to help restore proper function.
- Delve into the joints like never before. Examine the nerves of each joint, along with the arteries, meniscus, ligaments, capsule attachments and folds.
- Work with soft tissue mobilization of the associated bones, while looking at direct and indirect relationships between the bones of the body.
- Explore the relationship between the viscera and the joints.
- Discover how the joints receive and emit messages with other parts of the body, as well as the emotional connections.
- Learn how to evaluate and treat each major joint of the lower extremity for its primary dysfunction from the anatomical or physiological systems that contribute to it.
- Explore such indications as clinical pain, sprains, arthrosis, and inflammation in a brand new way.
"I was diagnosed with arthrosis in my hip and I had a lot of pain. The therapist I worked with explained that he would be evaluating me to find the areas of my body that were out of balance and that could be aggravating the arthrosis. After several sessions my pain was dramatically diminished. My arthrosis may not go away, but after the Manual Articular sessions, it makes sense that with my body in better balance, the degeneration may slow down. And I am extremely grateful to have so much less pain."