CranioSacral Therapy Introductory Programs
Prerequisite: None; program intent varies for laypersons, students or healthcare practitioners. See individual events for details.
CranioSacral Therapy Introduction (CSTI)
Teaches the benefits of CST along with basic techniques to use in practice and for personal health, typically a 12 hour/2 day program, intended for students in a healthcare profession, or healthcare professionals who are interested in exploring CranioSacral Therapy. The program content is included in the 4 day CranioSacral Therapy 1 workshop.
- Explore the anatomy and physiology of the craniosacral system and its relationship to illness, pain and dysfunction.
- Develop and refine light-touch palpation skills.
- Learn and practice palpating the "listening stations" key body locations where the craniosacral motion can best be evaluated.
- Learn and practice tissue release techniques for the pelvic and respiratory diaphragms and thoracic inlet.
- Learn about and practice mobilizing the sacrum; the dural tube rock and dural tube glide; V- spread; stillpoint.
- Excellent preparation for attendance at CranioSacral Therapy 1.
Overview of CranioSacral Therapy (CSTO)
This 6-hour, hands-on workshop will guide participants on a journey to, through and around one of the body's most fascinating healing channels; the craniosacral system and is intended for students in a healthcare profession, or healthcare professionals who are interested in exploring CranioSacral Therapy. The program content is included in the 4 day CranioSacral Therapy 1 workshop.
- Explore the anatomy and physiology of the craniosacral system and its relationship to illness, pain and dysfunction
- Develop and refine light-touch palpation skills
- Learn and practice palpating the "listening stations" key body locations where the craniosacral motion can best be evaluated
- Learn and practice tissue release techniques for the pelvic and respiratory diaphragms and thoracic inlet
One of the goals of Upledger Institute International is to teach people that they play the most active role in their own health. ShareCare workshops were designed by Dr. John E. Upledger specifically for persons with no prior knowledge of anatomy or physiology. Dr. Upledger is the osteopathic physician who led the research team to establish the scientific basis for a craniosacral system. He has shown how the system could be used to evaluate and treat misunderstood malfunctions involving the brain, spinal cord, and a myriad of other health problems such as chronic pain, lowered vitality, recurring infections, etc.
ShareCare participants with no healthcare background can learn about the craniosacral system and its influence on their overall health. Presenters will introduce a few simple techniques designed to relieve headaches, reduce stress, control pain, promote relaxation, and to lead participants to a greater understanding of their role in their own health.
Applications of Upledger CST, Massage & Bodywork for Autism (CSMB-A)
This course will provide education about Autism and tools for effective therapy: education on how different touch modalities such as Upledger CranioSacral Therapy address sensory systems in the body, and how understanding a particular child's presentation of their disability can lead to successful and therapeutic therapy sessions. This program is intended for and is intended for caregivers, family members, students in a healthcare profession, or healthcare professionals who are interested in exploring therapy tools for autism.
Recent Course Participants Say:
"Fabulous energy! So much knowledge & Passion."
"Learned so much about Autism. Fueled my desire to learn more specifically on this topic."
"I learned so much about Autism and now, I have tools to use that will be helpful!"
CranioSacral Therapy for Longevity: Applications to the Treatment of Alzheimer's and Dementia (CSLAD)
CSLAD is designed to train laypersons, elder care practitioners and healthcare practitioners how to treat a very specific geriatric population with the modality of CranioSacral Therapy. Based on research on dementia and Alzheimer's, students will learn how to apply CranioSacral Techniques such as the stillpoint to individuals with early onset, moderate and severe dementia and Alzheimer's. This class is ideal in supporting patients in a nursing home, independent living or stay at home situation. Also as a preventative application to an aging population this is an excellent 'hi touch, low tech' approach that can be applied for just a few minutes every day. The material is supported by a DVD, Your Health, the Nation, and the Senior Healthcare System, and a book, The BodyEnergy Longevity Prescription. For anyone with an interest in the application of CranioSacral Therapy to Geriatrics, this is the beginning step in treating and supporting this population.
- CranioSacral Therapy protocols for individuals with Dementia and Alzheimer's
- CranioSacral Therapy protocols for preventative support of aging populations
- Case Presentations
- Presentation of research study and model for effectiveness of this technique
- Hands on Demonstrations
- Dysfunctions of the Aging Process and the CranioSacral Rhythm-a proposed model
- Instruction in the still point technique for both normal and specialized populations
- Working with specialized and challenged populations
- Energy techniques to support a specialized population
- Introduction to Immune System Function and creative dialogue
- Palpation of the CranioSacral Rhythm (CSR)
- Hands on practice with both class participants and elder populations
- Instruction and support in applying touch to support, listen, and evaluate for improved well-being
Recommended Advance Reading: Your Inner Physician and You
This course is offered for 1.25 ASHA CEUs (Introductory level, Related area).